The EdChoice Scholarship Program
The Educational Choice Expansion Scholarship (EdChoice) Program provides low income students who are entering kindergarten through sixth grade the opportunity to attend participating private schools. The program provides up to 60,000 EdChoice scholarships to eligible students.
If you qualify, the state of Ohio will pay for your tuition to attend St. John’s. I would like all families to take a look at the information sheet attached and follow the steps below to sign up for this wonderful opportunity.
The application period opens February 1st.
The deadline for submitting is April 30th!
If your child meets the eligibility requirements for the scholarship and you have chosen a provider school, please follow the steps below to apply for the scholarship:
- Once your child has been accepted by the private school, the school will have you complete a Scholarship Request Form, along with your proof of current address and your child's birth certificate.
- The private school will submit an EdChoice application for your child through the online secure application system, ONLY available to the private school.
- Check the Federal Poverty Guidelines to determine whether you meet the income requirements for your household size and you want your income verified to determine if you qualify for low income status. [Note: Families applying for an expansion scholarship MUST have their income verified; it is NOT optional.]
- Obtain a copy of the Income Verification Form BELOW or from the private school where you applied. Complete the Income Verification Form, gather all supporting income documents (see list on form), and mail to the address listed on the form by the listed deadline.
Renewing the EdChoice Scholarship
Students who are currently receiving an EdChoice scholarship can renew the scholarship for the upcoming school year as long as they meet the following requirements:
- They take all required state achievement tests for their grade level
- They do not have more than 20 unexcused absences for the school year
- They do not move out of the school district in which they became eligible
Note: If students move to a new school district (e.g. moved from Columbus City SD to Toledo City SD, etc.), they would have to be assigned to an eligible school in the new district to be able to renew their scholarship.
Parents of renewal students who meet these requirements must complete the EdChoice Scholarship Renewal Form and submit it, along with a copy of a current utility bill, to the private school that their child will attend for the upcoming school year.
- If your child will attend a different private school next year, complete the admissions process at the NEW private school. Once the child is accepted, provide the new school with the Scholarship Renewal Form and proof of current address.
- The private school will submit a renewal for your child through the online EdChoice Scholarship application system.
- Check the Federal Poverty Guidelines chart. If you meet the income requirements for your household size and you want to have your income verified to determine if you qualify for low income status, obtain a copy of the Income Verification Form. Complete the Income Verification Form and submit it, along with supporting income documents, to the address listed on the form by the listed deadline to substantiate your income.
- In July, the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) will notify by mail those parents who applied during the first application period about whether or not their child has been awarded a scholarship.
- In August/September, ODE will notify by mail those parents who apply for the scholarship during the second application period about whether or not their child has been awarded a scholarship.